From: "Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn" <chithanh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Is /var/cache the right place for repositories?
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2012 21:55:40
1 Ulrich Mueller schrieb:
2 >> Now I wonder: After removal of e.g. the Portage tree from a system,
3 >> it is generally not possible to restore it. (It can be refetched,
4 >> but not to its previous state.)
5
6 Is it required that the _exact_ _same_ _data_ will be regenerated? This
7 is not the case with most users of /var/cache (like ccache for example).
8 They only regenerate what is needed so the application continues to work
9 properly. The ebuilds that are needed for portage functioning are saved
10 to /var/db/pkg already.
11
12 squid cache would be another example, or just about every other Linux
13 distro's package manager.
14
15 > What about /usr/portage/licenses, for example? Some of the licenses
16 > are required to be present on the system if the corresponding software
17 > is installed. So users cannot legally remove them.
18
19 They are not required for functioning of the system, and a sync will
20 restore them.
21
22 > Should we really put them under /var/cache which suggests that
23 > everything in there can be wiped?
24
25 Yes.
28 Best regards,