From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Is /var/cache the right place for repositories?
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2012 18:13:53
1 >>>>> On Thu, 20 Dec 2012, Ian Stakenvicius wrote:
2
3 > On 20/12/12 12:27 PM, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
4 >> The FHS says:
5 >>
6 >> /var/cache is intended for cached data from applications. Such
7 >> data is locally generated as a result of time-consuming I/O or
8 >> calculation. The application must be able to regenerate or restore
9 >> the data.
10 >>
11 >> Now I wonder: After removal of e.g. the Portage tree from a system,
12 >> it is generally not possible to restore it. (It can be refetched,
13 >> but not to its previous state.)
14 >>
15 >> Same is true for distfiles, at least to some degree. They may have
16 >> vanished upstream or from mirrors.
17 >>
18 >> Maybe /var/lib would be a better choice? It would also take care
19 >> of the issue with fetch-restricted files.
20
21 > I had asked more or less the same thing a few days ago. The cases
22 > where this would matter are few, however, and those users that need
23 > the state preserved could ensure it by including these specific paths
24 > in their backups and/or ensuring any cache-cleaner scripts (and AFAIK
25 > there aren't any that wouldn't be custom-installed) do not remove them.
26
27 What about /usr/portage/licenses, for example? Some of the licenses
28 are required to be present on the system if the corresponding software
29 is installed. So users cannot legally remove them.
30
31 Should we really put them under /var/cache which suggests that
32 everything in there can be wiped?
33
34 Ulrich