From: "George D. Plymale" <plymale@××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Another idea
Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2001 17:06:39
1 Hi, I have had another idea which has been rolling around in my head for
2 some time which would allow users to use cvs instead of downloading
3 tarballs if desired, particularly useful for testing systems,
4 developers, and simply for people who update from snapshot to snapshot.
5 If an /etc/make.conf were provided and the user could define cvs or
6 tarballs for downloading, as well as "development or snapshots" I
7 believe it would be very useful. Another useful option would be to
8 allow fetching to be made with different fetching utils such as "snatch
9 or fetch or wget" and allow the resume option to be enabled, so a "-r"
10 flag would be passed and resume would occur in the appropriate
11 directory, which is something that is lacking in ports, and a script a
12 friend and I made doesn't seem to do the trick if
13 /usr/ports/distfiles/some_other_download_dir_name is used instead of
14 /usr/ports/distfiles. At any rate, these are some ideas and I am still
15 considering jumping in with both feet into Gentoo.
16
17 Thanks again,
18 -George