From: Jakub Moc <jakub@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] A heretical thought? Blessing project sunrise as an almost-fork.
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 19:12:04
1 Ned Ludd wrote:
2 > On Tue, 2006-06-13 at 18:26 +0200, Henrik Brix Andersen wrote:
3 >
4 >> I have a problem with it being an official project hosted on
5 >> *.gentoo.org, as I fear most users will think "hey, it's official,
6 >> it's hosted on *.gentoo.org - it can't be that bad". Judging from the
7 >> few users who have posted to the previous threads on this subject, my
8 >> fear seems to be reasonable.
9 >>
10 >> If the project was to be hosted on a non *.gentoo.org domain (I'll let
11 >> infra comment on whether or not non *.gentoo.org domains can be hosted
12 >> on infra hardware) my current issues with this project would be gone.
13 >
14 > Would moving it from overlays.g.o to overlays.dev.g.o,
15 > overlays.experimental.dev.g.o help ? It could then be viewed
16 > officially unofficial as the tinderboxing repository's I've
17 > been working on.
18
19 I like the idea, helps to differentiate a bit. Though - frankly said I
20 don't really understand what's this paranoia about. You don't have
21 control over users' systems. There are tons of overlays users are using
22 daily [1] - but obviously according to some people the one like Sunrise
23 must definitely be the worst overlay ever, which will just make users
24 boxes massively explode in smoke, kill Gentoo, all its reputation and
25 half of the near universe. The main reason being that it's been hosted
26 on overlays.gentoo.org and hence it's obviously official and we must
27 guarantee that it will be 130% working and won't bring a single bad byte
28 on users' boxes, otherwise - wheeeeee kaboooom, the end of the world!
29
30 [1] http://gentoo-wiki.com/TIP_Overlays
31
32 > Personally I know I would like to have a place to park
33 > pic, iconv, nls patches in testing, and embedded-kernels that are say
34 > vital for some devices but for one reason or another should not be in
35 > the official tree.
36
37 Erm, better host it somewhere else, you'll save yourself trouble and it
38 will be more effective.
39
40 >> If the project proves to be healthy and not affect the reputation of
41 >> Gentoo in a bad way, we could consider adopting it as an official
42 >> project after a period of time.
43 >
44 > Or not?
45
46 Shrug... The question is whether the maintainers will be interested in
47 becoming an official project or if they'll just choose to save
48 themselves the trouble.
49
50 Getting tired of this thread, really. Talk about too much ado for
51 nothing. So, how about we stop wasting time, let people who are
52 interested to do something do it, and the rest of us can focus on more
53 important stuff than endless debates on mailing list and bothering
54 Gentoo Council - such as fixing current bugs and cleaning the dead cruft
55 in the tree, or fixing things not yet ported for modular X, or unported
56 for gcc-4.x, or whatever else?
57
58 Mailing list threads that don't fix one screen resolution suck, you can
59 expect another funding request from blubb any time soon, it seems. :P
63 Best regards,
64
65 Jakub Moc
66 mailto:jakub@g.o
67 GPG signature:
68 http://subkeys.pgp.net:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xCEBA3D9E
69 Primary key fingerprint: D2D7 933C 9BA1 C95B 2C95 B30F 8717 D5FD CEBA 3D9E
70
71 ... still no signature ;)