From: Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] A heretical thought? Blessing project sunrise as an almost-fork.
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 18:24:52
1 On Tue, 2006-06-13 at 18:26 +0200, Henrik Brix Andersen wrote:
2
3 > I have a problem with it being an official project hosted on
4 > *.gentoo.org, as I fear most users will think "hey, it's official,
5 > it's hosted on *.gentoo.org - it can't be that bad". Judging from the
6 > few users who have posted to the previous threads on this subject, my
7 > fear seems to be reasonable.
8 >
9 > If the project was to be hosted on a non *.gentoo.org domain (I'll let
10 > infra comment on whether or not non *.gentoo.org domains can be hosted
11 > on infra hardware) my current issues with this project would be gone.
12
13 Would moving it from overlays.g.o to overlays.dev.g.o,
14 overlays.experimental.dev.g.o help ? It could then be viewed
15 officially unofficial as the tinderboxing repository's I've
16 been working on.
17
18 Personally I know I would like to have a place to park
19 pic, iconv, nls patches in testing, and embedded-kernels that are say
20 vital for some devices but for one reason or another should not be in
21 the official tree.
22
23 > If the project proves to be healthy and not affect the reputation of
24 > Gentoo in a bad way, we could consider adopting it as an official
25 > project after a period of time.
26
27 Or not?
30 > Sincerely,