From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] One-Day Gentoo Council Reminder for January 22
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 16:12:52
1 On Wed, 21 Jan 2009 22:10:29 -0600
2 Jeremy Olexa <darkside@g.o> wrote:
3 > I think the spec should just be upgraded because it isn't exactly
4 > obvious to the casual dev what is a 3.0 feature vs 3.1, etc. We
5 > already have 3.1 features in the tree, I'm not sure where the red
6 > tape is here.
7
8 The problem is, if the tree uses 3.1 and you don't have 3.1, it's a
9 massive pain in the ass to upgrade. We waited a loooong time between
10 3.0 going stable and allowing it in the tree because of that.
11
12 Ideally we'd say "no using 3.1 features unless EAPI=3", but that would
13 be messy with eclasses even if developers did know that += is a 3.1
14 feature...
17 Ciaran McCreesh