From: Jeremy Olexa <darkside@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] One-Day Gentoo Council Reminder for January 22
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 04:10:35
1 Donnie Berkholz wrote:
2 > On 21:28 Wed 21 Jan , Jeremy Olexa wrote:
3 >> Can we get a consensus on bash version in the tree? this thread[1] is
4 >> unresolved. I understand that the PMS draft is not set in stone (or
5 >> something), but please...let's progress and update the spec[2]. I feel
6 >> that this makes it hard for other projects relying on Gentoo to do some
7 >> things without being able to *know* what version of bash is allowed.
8 >
9 > Which projects relying on Gentoo are having a hard time? It's helpful to
10 > know the impact of a problem when deciding what to do about it.
13 Well.. pet projects, nothing major really.
14
15 However,
16 In Gentoo Prefix, I found the issue in the original post on the other
17 thread because my host system had bash-3.0 on it so I wanted to save a
18 lengthy compile on an obscure platform. If Gentoo specs say "bash-3.X is
19 guarenteed to work" then it is simple to say that we require that the
20 user compiles this version while bootstrapping a new Prefix. Otherwise,
21 its a mystery what works. Some platforms that I bootstrap on have
22 bash-2.05 and it would be nice to *know* what I should upgrade to.
23
24 I think the spec should just be upgraded because it isn't exactly
25 obvious to the casual dev what is a 3.0 feature vs 3.1, etc. We already
26 have 3.1 features in the tree, I'm not sure where the red tape is here.