From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Cc: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] network sandbox challenge
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2020 20:26:08
1 On Tue, Mar 31, 2020 at 12:58 PM Samuel Bernardo <
2 samuelbernardo.mail@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > Hi Alec,
5 >
6 > On 3/27/20 11:20 PM, Alec Warner wrote:
7 > >
8 > > I should point you at man portage(5) (search for mirrors), which has
9 > > more detail on how to set up a non-gentoo mirror network.
10 >
11 > Reading portage manpage about mirrors I didn't find the mirror type
12 > possible values. As I could understand, there is type local as a special
13 > mirror and then, from the example, sourceforge and gnu. Didn't
14 > understand right how this works.
15 >
16 > From thirdpartymirrors file I can see more examples... The mirror type
17 > can be any label that I decide to use?
20 man portage(5) says:
21 Whenever portage encounters a mirror:// style URI it will look up the
22 actual hosts here. If the mirror set is not found here, it will check
23 the
24 global mirrors file at /var/db/repos/gentoo/profiles/thirdpartymirrors.
25 You may also set a special mirror type called "local". This list of
26 mirrors will be checked before GENTOO_MIRRORS and will be used even if the
27 package has RESTRICT="mirror" or RESTRICT="fetch".
28
29 We have a bunch of existing mirror types (as you noticed). This lets us do
30 things like "mirror://github" and then globally change the uri for github
31 easily without editing the entire set of ebuilds because we late-bind the
32 URI matching.
36 > Is URI mirror:// style deprecated in ebuilds and should use
37 > restric="mirror" instead?
40 I don't understand how you could arrive at this conclusion. What would this
41 do?
42
43 RESTRICT=mirror is for things we are not legally allowed to mirror. That's
44 basically all its for; it has nothing to do with custom mirrors or anything.
48 > I think that, in mirrors description for /etc/portage/, first paragraph
49 > should be divided in two: the new one in the phrase that starts with
50 > "You may also set a special mirror type called local".
53 Feel free to submit a patch; the source is on github:
54 https://github.com/gentoo/portage/blob/master/man/portage.5
55
56 -A
60 > Thanks,