From: "Rémi Cardona" <remi@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: GLEP 55
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 16:36:35
1 Ciaran McCreesh a écrit :
2 > The package manager does not currently source the whole thing with
3 > bash to get the EAPI, nor does it open the ebuild file at all for
4 > metadata. You're talking doubling the number of file operations here,
5 > and going from extremely good filesystem locality (which means very few
6 > seeks) to jumping backwards and forwards all over the place.
7
8 Yeah, grepping through the ebuild is just bound to get a massive
9 performance hit, I don't have numbers but that just looks obvious.
10
11 Ciaran, what other pitfalls do you see for using one EAPI file per
12 package (except for the broken compatibility, I know it's a big one) ?
13
14 > This is basic stuff you really need to know before you can comment
15 > sensibly on a discussion about package metadata.
16
17 Then, thanks for explaining those things :) We are learning stuff as we go.
20 Rémi Cardona
21 LRI, INRIA
22 remi.cardona@×××.fr
23 remi@g.o