From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: GLEP 55
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 16:36:51
1 On Tue, 10 Jun 2008 16:11:49 +0200
2 Rémi Cardona <remi@g.o> wrote:
3 > Ciaran McCreesh a écrit :
4 > > The package manager does not currently source the whole thing with
5 > > bash to get the EAPI, nor does it open the ebuild file at all for
6 > > metadata. You're talking doubling the number of file operations
7 > > here, and going from extremely good filesystem locality (which
8 > > means very few seeks) to jumping backwards and forwards all over
9 > > the place.
10 >
11 > Yeah, grepping through the ebuild is just bound to get a massive
12 > performance hit, I don't have numbers but that just looks obvious.
13
14 No no. Doing the seek to open a file in a different directory and then
15 seeking back to your original directory over and over when otherwise
16 you'd be doing nice linear opens on adjacent inodes in a single
17 directory is where the performance hit is.
18
19 Paludis is pretty much seek bound in a lot of cases.
20
21 > Ciaran, what other pitfalls do you see for using one EAPI file per
22 > package (except for the broken compatibility, I know it's a big one) ?
23
24 It's moving the relevant information further and further away from
25 where it's supposed to be. It doubles the number of files a developer
26 has to check in order to do simple ebuild maintenance.
29 Ciaran McCreesh