From: Roy Marples <uberlord@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: upstart on gentoo
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2007 09:51:13
1 On Fri, 16 Feb 2007 21:40:03 -0700
2 "Daniel Robbins" <drobbins.daniel@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > Oh, and a bit of history - at one point, I used djb's supervise as
5 > part of the initscripts so that we could do stuff similarly to
6 > upstart. When the initscripts were rewritten, we went to bash and had
7 > the intention of adding process monitoring and restart eventually -
8 > but gentoo was growing so fast that we never really got to do this.
9
10 baselayout-1.12 tracks how daemons are started per init script via
11 start-stop-daemon calls. We also enforce
12
13 1) what is calls is really the daemon and not just a shell script that
14 launches some
15
16 2) When `/etc/init.d/foo status` is called it checks to see if all
17 started daemons are still running, if not then it stops itself.
18
19 baselayout-2 will change this a little so that status will just report
20 the status, and a new command (crashed, isrunning, any other ideas?)
21 will report if it's crashed or not. We also have C bindings for this.
22
23 Thanks
24
25 Roy