From: Song Ma <songmash@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] A tool helps to diff and override config files
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2008 08:44:00
1 Thanks guys. I didn't realize there are such tools existed already.
2
3 2008/12/4 Cheng Renquan <crquan@×××××.com>
4
5 > On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 4:34 PM, Song Ma <songmash@×××××.com> wrote:
6 > > Hi,
7 > >
8 > > With Gentoo if the user runs "emerge --update --newuse --deep world", the
9 > > config file under "/etc" may be updated and get the new config file named
10 > as
11 > > "._cfg0000_xxxx", for example, "._cfg0000_ntp.conf". Normally I will
12 > > compare this newly updated config file with my existing one, then decide
13 > if
14 > > I am going to override the existing one with new one or discard the new
15 > one
16 > > since I must keep my existing setting. It is not very efficient to do
17 > these
18 > > actions with command lines such as "diff", "cp" or "mv" one by one. I
19 > wrote
20 > > a tool with text menu to help Gentoo user compare and copy new the new
21 > > config file conveniently. Does anyone have interest about it? What should
22 > I
23 > > do if I want to make it open source and maintain it for Gentoo users?
24 >
25 > Why not use dispatch-conf ?
28 > > A screen shot for the tool use:
34 > --
35 > Cheng Renquan, Shenzhen, China
36 > Bob Dole - "The internet is a great way to get on the net."