From: Tavis Ormandy <taviso@g.o>
To: Seemant Kulleen <seemant@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Finger GLEP
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 00:17:32
1 On Sun, Aug 10, 2003 at 04:36:56PM -0700, Seemant Kulleen wrote:
2 > I'm inclined to agree with Kurt here. I don't know that we should be
3 > opening more ports than necessary, for starters, and I don't know that
4 > the benefits necessarily outweigh the risks here.
5
6 Sure, running services you dont need is never a good idea, but crippling
7 a box to be extra paranoid about security is a shame.
8
9 Besides, finger is a mature protocol and the implementations available
10 are widely used by some of the most respected
11 developers/projects/universities out there, and installed by default on
12 many systems, (Slackware, fex.) Finger is also really simple, you can
13 audit it in a few hours if you want to.
14
15 > The idea for the
16 > devrel dev/herd/project pages will be to have a uniform portal to all
17 > sorts of info.
20 thats cool, but im certain keeping a .plan up to date will be easier
21 than updating a webpage, and distributing keys with finger couldnt be
22 simpler.
23
24 imho, running fingerd also says something about a project..UNIX
25 heritage, classic internet, and things like that :)
29 taviso@××××××××××××.org | finger me for my gpg key.
33 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list