From: Douglas Freed <dwfreed@×××.edu>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Base profile changes should be announced/discussed on this list.
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2013 12:25:40
1 On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 5:53 AM, Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 08:21:20AM +0200, Michael Weber wrote
3 >> Mostly everything is configurable, and revertable as user - granted.
4 >>
5 >> I'd like to see a announcement and an optional discussion on this list
6 >> if base profile gets changed [0] - current case bug 449364 [1].
7 >>
8 >> I'm not opposed to the specific change, or base system changes in
9 >> general, but I don't like seeing them slip thru under the radar.
10 >>
11 >> Just have the honesty and brin gsuch changes to public.
12 >>
13 >> [In this case] having an working mouse copy'n'paste eases the way from
14 >> stage3 to a set up X server, X server tends to break, and it doesn't
15 >> collide with X anymore.
16 >> So it only needs <1MB data [2], which is very usefull editing stage3
17 >> with it's default editor - nano.
18 >> I see the point that's it's useless on headless virtual boxes.
19 >>
20 >> my 2 cents.
21 >
22 > Hold on a minute. There is a *MAJOR* difference between "gpm" the USE
23 > flag, and sys-libs/gpm the mouse server. I'm one of those weird guys
24 > who starts USE with "-*". And I do not have "gpm" the USE flag enabled.
25 > I do, however, have sys-libs/gpm running just fine, thank you, minus the
26 > "gpm" flag. I can assure you that gpm works just fine during the
27 > install, even without the gpm flag.
28 >
29 >> I see the point that's it's useless on headless virtual boxes
30 >
31 > Actually, if you ssh into the virtual box from a text console, it
32 > still works.
33 >
34 > If there was a move afoot to remove sys-libs/gpm from the install ISO,
35 > I would be part of the crowd up in arms about this. But that's totally
36 > a separate item from the USE flag. Since I've never used the gpm USE
37 > flag, I have to ask... what additional goodies does USE="gpm" bring to
38 > the table? How exactly, does it improve things beyond the basic
39 > sys-libs/gpm?
40
41 For most packages, USE=gpm builds them with the gpm library, which
42 generally allows the built program to have the same mouse support on
43 console as it does in an X environment. For example, with vim and
44 USE="X", do ':set mouse=a', and you can use the mouse to navigate and
45 do selections while in X. If you add USE="gpm", you can do the same
46 things in the console environment, which is really handy if you
47 haven't yet mastered vim's myriad of movement commands.
50 > --
51 > Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
52 > I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications
55 -Doug