From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Base profile changes should be announced/discussed on this list.
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2013 09:54:04
1 On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 08:21:20AM +0200, Michael Weber wrote
2 > Mostly everything is configurable, and revertable as user - granted.
3 >
4 > I'd like to see a announcement and an optional discussion on this list
5 > if base profile gets changed [0] - current case bug 449364 [1].
6 >
7 > I'm not opposed to the specific change, or base system changes in
8 > general, but I don't like seeing them slip thru under the radar.
9 >
10 > Just have the honesty and brin gsuch changes to public.
11 >
12 > [In this case] having an working mouse copy'n'paste eases the way from
13 > stage3 to a set up X server, X server tends to break, and it doesn't
14 > collide with X anymore.
15 > So it only needs <1MB data [2], which is very usefull editing stage3
16 > with it's default editor - nano.
17 > I see the point that's it's useless on headless virtual boxes.
18 >
19 > my 2 cents.
20
21 Hold on a minute. There is a *MAJOR* difference between "gpm" the USE
22 flag, and sys-libs/gpm the mouse server. I'm one of those weird guys
23 who starts USE with "-*". And I do not have "gpm" the USE flag enabled.
24 I do, however, have sys-libs/gpm running just fine, thank you, minus the
25 "gpm" flag. I can assure you that gpm works just fine during the
26 install, even without the gpm flag.
27
28 > I see the point that's it's useless on headless virtual boxes
29
30 Actually, if you ssh into the virtual box from a text console, it
31 still works.
32
33 If there was a move afoot to remove sys-libs/gpm from the install ISO,
34 I would be part of the crowd up in arms about this. But that's totally
35 a separate item from the USE flag. Since I've never used the gpm USE
36 flag, I have to ask... what additional goodies does USE="gpm" bring to
37 the table? How exactly, does it improve things beyond the basic
38 sys-libs/gpm?
41 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
42 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications