From: Brian Webb <webbb@××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: GCC3.1 bootstrap fails
Date: Mon, 03 Jun 2002 01:03:37
1 I think I may have found at least part of the problem. I noticed that on
2 my other gcc-3.0 profile machines, texinfo couldn't be emerged. It turns
3 out that texinfo is masked. Texinfo is a required system package in the
4 gcc-3.0 profile and it's masked the package.mask, which obviously is not a
5 good thing. If I unmask texinfo my existing systems are happy, but I
6 haven't tested it on a bootstrap yet.
7
8 Brian
11 P.S. Sorry about the run-on emails. I really have to figure out why
12 Squirrelmail is running all my paragraphs together!!!!
13
14 > I tried the 1.3-gcc3.1 profile but ran into some problems, and now I
15 > can't get any 3.0 profile to work!
16
17 > I first booted from a 1.1a stage1 CD, I then downloaded an untared the
18 > 1.3-gcc3.1 stage1, changed the CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS in make.conf to
19 > "-march=athlon-xp -O3 -pipe", and bootstrapped.
20
21 > I soon realized that make.profile was pointing to the default profile
22 > when it started building gcc-2.95.3. Since this is a 3.1 bootstrap, it
23 > seems like the default make.profile link should be to the 3.0 profile
24 > instead, but that wasn't a problem. I started over, remembering to
25 > change the make.profile link, and bootstrap finished successfully.
26
27 > There were some errors about info files (this was mentioned in a
28 > previous email), but I didn't think much of them. Unfortunately, the
29 > "emerge system" step failed when building e2fsprogs because it couldn't
30 > find makeinfo.
31
32 > While I was trying to figure out how to build makeinfo I decided to
33 > "emerge rsync" just in case something had gotten fixed in the last
34 > couple of hours ;-). That's when things really fell apart. After that
35 > I couldn't get any emerges to work. I kept getting "Couldn't find
36 > match for..." from emerge.
37
38 > At this point I decided that something was really messed up, so decided
39 > to start over from a more standard gcc-3.1 bootstrap that worked for me
40 > just a day or two ago.
41
42 > I have successfully bootstrapped on a similar system using a 1.1a
43 > stage1 and the 3.0 make profile as long as I don't change the CFLAGS or
44 > CXXFLAGS until the "emerge system" step (after the gcc 3.1 compiler has
45 > been built). Unfortunately, this is no longer working either.
46 > I now get the "Couldn't find match for..." error messages almost
47 > immediately after running bootstrap.sh. The error messages start just
48 > after portage has been emerged. Has something recently changed with
49 > portage or the gcc 3.0 profile that could have caused this? Any idea
50 > how I can fix this?
51 > Brian
52 >
53 >> Would be cool if you could try and bootstrap again with
54 >> -fomit-frame-pointer, and now use the 1.3-gcc3.1 tarball from ibiblio
55 >> (http://www.ibiblio.org/gentoo/releases/build/) i just made. If it
56 >> fails, i guess we should filter out most of the optimisations... I
57 >> think the new gcc3.1-compiled tarball will make all the gcc3.1-users
58 >> much happier :o) I also updated the packages file from the gcc 3.1
59 >> profile, and the make.defaults. Please keep us posted on any
60 >> progress!
65 > gentoo-dev mailing list
66 > gentoo-dev@g.o