From: Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Agenda [WAS: One-Day Gentoo Council Reminder for June]
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 07:19:52
1 On 14:58 Wed 11 Jun , Donnie Berkholz wrote:
2 > Carefully note the Preparation sections. If they aren't completed, we
3 > will postpone the topic to the -council mailing list or the next meeting
4 > instead of waste time during the meeting doing things that should've
5 > happened in advance.
6 >
7 > Please respond with any suggestions, including suggested order of the
8 > topics by urgency (within "old topics" and "new topics"). Unfortunately
9 > not all of the topics were posted to the council meeting reminder
10 > thread, so it was hard to dig them out.
11
12 amne talked to me and said he won't be able to post to any mailing lists
13 before the meeting because he's at work, although he will be able to
14 read them. I realize it was pretty late notice on the agenda, and the
15 preparation+consequences is a new concept that we haven't all agreed on.
16
17 The idea behind posting to the list in advance is twofold -- holding
18 council members accountable for:
19
20 1) Knowing the relevant information, and
21
22 2) Participating in the source discussion if they have anything new to
23 add, rather than bringing it up during the meeting.
24
25 What we don't want is people speaking up at the meeting with previously
26 unheard opinions or asking about already discussed topics, either of
27 which often create prolonged discussions.
28
29 The alternative to posting in advance is that you agree with an opinion
30 that's already out there and will not bring up anything new during the
31 meeting. That's my interpretation of people not posting, and that's
32 perfectly fine.
33
34 In the future, every council meeting should become little more than a
35 time to hold a vote on predefined options for each topic. In fact, if we
36 could get that far, we might not even need live meetings at all anymore
37 It could all be on-list, or even using votify.
38
39 Thanks,
40 Donnie
41 --