From: Jure Varlec <exzombie@×××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Gentoo Graphical User Interfaces Project
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2007 11:29:27
48 Hello,
49
50 I hope this post gets through, I just switched to using gmane, so I'm sorry
51 if it gets posted incorrectly.
52
53 I take it you intend to use GTK. May I suggest you also provide ncurses
54 interfaces to your programs? I'm not sure how much additional work that
55 would be, as I don't program UIs. But an additional ncurses interface would
56 provide users with the comfort of having the same tools available in case
57 their Xorg fails for some reason, and on their X-less servers.
58
59 Also, if a user modifies a tool-managed config file, the tool shouldn't get
60 confused, and vice versa. I'm sure that goes without saying on Gentoo, but
61 since I've only used GUI tools on Mandrake and Ubuntu and this is where
62 they often fail, I feel the need to mention it. For example, Ubuntu's
63 network config tool often didn't match what ifconfig said about the
64 interfaces' status; I don't want to know what would happen to it if I used
65 ifconfig to actually change configuration.
66
67 Regards,
68 Jure
69