From: Henrik Brix Andersen <brix@g.o>
To: Peter Johanson <latexer@g.o>
Cc: Stefan Schweizer <sschweizer@×××××.com>, gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] kernel-mod.eclass addition + clean up
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2004 17:56:21
1 Hi,
2
3 On Fri, 2004-10-29 at 17:36, Peter Johanson wrote:
4 > The goal of kernel-mod eclass is to enable kernel module ebuilds to have
5 > an easier time doing what they do. If non-kernel module ebuilds are
6 > using kernel-mod, we should investigate what functionality *those*
7 > ebuilds use, and move that into a seperate eclass that kernel-mod.eclass
8 > can then inherit from. Things like the kernel version variable
9 > detection, etc, is what i'm guessing is used by other ebuilds (i don't
10 > have time to dig currently) and we could certainly move that into
11 > kernel-info.eclass or somesuch, and let kernel-mod.eclass inherit that.
12 > Then we are free to do things like brix suggests, without annoying those
13 > few ebuilds that think they are kernel module ebuilds, but are really
14 > imposters. (:
15
16 I've moved most of the current support functions from kernel-mod.eclass
17 to kernel-info.eclass and added functions for calling depmod and
18 functions for substituting SUBDIR= with M= to kernel-mod.eclass.
19
20 My proposal for kernel-info.eclass and the new kernel-mod.eclass is
21 attached to this email (a patch isn't well-suited because of the major
22 changes and moving of functions).
23
24 Please comment. If nobody objects I will commit the kernel-info.eclass
25 and kernel-mod.eclass files along with the necessary changes to the
26 affected ebuilds in 5 days from now.
27
28 Sincerely,
29 Brix