From: Daniel Drake <dsd@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] kernel-mod.eclass addition + clean up
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2004 20:58:12
1 Hi,
2
3 On Monday 01 November 2004 01:57, Henrik Brix Andersen wrote:
4 > I've moved most of the current support functions from kernel-mod.eclass
5 > to kernel-info.eclass and added functions for calling depmod and
6 > functions for substituting SUBDIR= with M= to kernel-mod.eclass.
7
8 (not all of these points are related to your changes, but it would be nice to
9 get them ironed out while we are working on it)
10
11 I'm not too sure about kernel-mod_src_compile. There isn't a generic argument
12 (e.g. KERNEL_DIR) which makefiles tend to follow when specifying the kernel
13 source. If anything we should go for a hackish way at trying to support as
14 many builds as possible, e.g. setting KDIR, KERNDIR, KERNEL_DIR, KERNEL,
15 KERNEL_SRC, .., to /usr/src/linux and O, M, OUTPUT, SYSOUT, to ${S} .. but
16 that may well break some builds. I think we should leave this out altogether.
17
18 kernel-mod_subdir_to_m requires some extra thought, its not always a simple
19 search and replace. (e.g. autotooled Makefiles often use an internal SUBDIRS
20 variable if I remember right). In most cases this would be useful, but there
21 are always some oddities.
22
23 kernel-info_getversion - is this needed? portage.py provides the variable $KV
24 which should give the same info. I think we should only keep one or the
25 other. If we keep kernel-info_getversion then it needs to be extended to read
26 2.6.9's new LOCALVERSION stuff (the internal portage version has been updated
27 in CVS).
28
29 kernel-info_configoption* - yes, I know I wrote these, but I think we should
30 change the .config checking a bit:
31 [ -e "${KERNEL_DIR}/.config" ] || die "Kernel has not been configured yet"
32 Instead of the above, we should perhaps create another function and use it to
33 print out a more informative error message if no .config file has been found.
34
35 Other than that, I like the proposed split. Thanks!
36
37 Daniel
40 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list