From: Henrik Brix Andersen <brix@g.o>
To: Daniel Drake <dsd@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] kernel-mod.eclass addition + clean up
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2004 22:22:05
1 Hi,
2
3 On Sun, 2004-10-31 at 21:41, Daniel Drake wrote:
4 > (not all of these points are related to your changes, but it would be nice to
5 > get them ironed out while we are working on it)
6
7 Thanks for providing feedback. I agree that we might as well solve all
8 known issues while we're at it.
9
10 > I'm not too sure about kernel-mod_src_compile. There isn't a generic argument
11 > (e.g. KERNEL_DIR) which makefiles tend to follow when specifying the kernel
12 > source. If anything we should go for a hackish way at trying to support as
13 > many builds as possible, e.g. setting KDIR, KERNDIR, KERNEL_DIR, KERNEL,
14 > KERNEL_SRC, .., to /usr/src/linux and O, M, OUTPUT, SYSOUT, to ${S} .. but
15 > that may well break some builds. I think we should leave this out altogether.
16
17 Yeah, I was uncertain about kernel-mod_src_compile() as well. Just
18 didn't want to take it out since sys-apps/cloop depends on it. We could
19 leave it out and fix sys-apps/cloop accordingly?
20
21 > kernel-mod_subdir_to_m requires some extra thought, its not always a simple
22 > search and replace. (e.g. autotooled Makefiles often use an internal SUBDIRS
23 > variable if I remember right). In most cases this would be useful, but there
24 > are always some oddities.
25
26 Yes, that's why I included kernel-mod_need_subdir_to_m(). Ebuilds which
27 require more than the simple sed statement can do:
28
29 if kernel-mod_needs_subdir_to_m
30 then
31 ...
32 fi
33
34 Will this do?
35
36 > kernel-info_getversion - is this needed? portage.py provides the variable $KV
37 > which should give the same info. I think we should only keep one or the
38 > other. If we keep kernel-info_getversion then it needs to be extended to read
39 > 2.6.9's new LOCALVERSION stuff (the internal portage version has been updated
40 > in CVS).
41
42 Many ebuilds rely on having more than ${KV} available.
43 kernel-info_getversion() provides ${KV_MAJOR}, ${KV_MINOR} and
44 ${KV_PATCH}.
45
46 But you're right: kernel-mod_getversion() needs to be updated to
47 understand LOCALVERSION.
48
49 > kernel-info_configoption* - yes, I know I wrote these, but I think we should
50 > change the .config checking a bit:
51 > [ -e "${KERNEL_DIR}/.config" ] || die "Kernel has not been configured yet"
52 > Instead of the above, we should perhaps create another function and use it to
53 > print out a more informative error message if no .config file has been found.
54
55 Good idea. I'll write a function for that.
56
57 > Other than that, I like the proposed split. Thanks!
58
59 Thanks again for providing feedback. I'll write a new version of the two
60 eclasses implementing the above mentioned changes tomorrow.
61
62 Stay tuned,
63 Brix
64 --