From: "3.2.3" <ifoufo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: When is Gentoo 1.4 going to be released?
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 13:25:31
1 Stefano Peluchetti wrote:
2 >
3 > Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:
4 > > People are looking for a general idea of a release schedule. I can not
5 > > blame them for asking and I can not blame them for being frustrated when
6 > > they don't get an answer, even if it is a ballpark figure.
7 >
8 > I am 100% of your opinion.
9 > If you search in the forums you will see that also A LOT of gentoo users
10 > thinks the same.
11
12 whoa right there. a lot of people are on crack, too. especially where
13 concerns a bunch wondering when someone is going to hurry up and give
14 them something for free.
15
16 enough software in this world is tossed over the fence according to a
17 schedule. i don't need any more software that was developed to a
18 schedule. i've got enought of that at work. i need software that is
19 actually ready when it is ready, whenever that is. i'm glad there is
20 some. eye on the ball, not some bean counter's stopwatch.
21
22 i don't know how realistic it is, but it seems to be expected to have a
23 schedule for software if someone is paying for the development. and that
24 causes an awful lot of crappy software to get developed. not to mention,
25 missed schedules anyway. a pmi study showed only 27% of software
26 projects meet schedule (up from 19% a decade ago). so much for software
27 schedules. what works for highway construction doesn't have much to do
28 with software.
29
30 a ballpark figure has been given more than once, and missed more than
31 once. i say, enough. it's plain to see there is no point in such straw
32 men, especially in free, volunteer, community efforts. obviously it will
33 be ready when it's ready. and only when it's ready should i want it. -i
34 wouldn't have it any other way!- in certain circumstances i would expect
35 to hear, "are we there yet?" from the backseat. this is not one of them.
36
37 > In fact the status of the development is covered by an incredible mistery...
38
39 that is so untrue. bugs.gentoo.org. it's completely transparent.
40
41 regards,
42
43 chris calloway