From: Matt Beland <matt@××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: When is Gentoo 1.4 going to be released?
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 14:15:56
1 On Tue, Oct 22, 2002 at 02:21:09PM -0400, 3.2.3 wrote:
2 > whoa right there. a lot of people are on crack, too. especially where
3 > concerns a bunch wondering when someone is going to hurry up and give
4 > them something for free.
5
6 Wrong. We're not asking for the Gentoo team to hurry up and give us our
7 free candy. We want the Gentoo team to let us know when they're going to
8 let us take full advantage of the portage system again. Frankly, I (and
9 I suspect most others) could care less about the 1.4 release in and of
10 itself. Sure, a new version of the compiler and so on would be nice, but
11 I can get that on my own if necessary. The problem is that the portage
12 tree is frozen waiting for 1.4, and has been for some time.
13
14 Do a 'grep freeze /usr/portage/profiles/package.mask' sometime. That's
15 probably an inaccurate count - on the low side - and I see 14 ebuilds
16 that are masked waiting for the freeze to be over. How many others are
17 not even in the tree? I see a number of the "freeze" comments indicating
18 they were only added to the tree for bugfix testing or because the new
19 build fixes a major bug.
20
21 > enough software in this world is tossed over the fence according to a
22 > schedule. i don't need any more software that was developed to a
23 > schedule. i've got enought of that at work. i need software that is
24 > actually ready when it is ready, whenever that is. i'm glad there is
25 > some. eye on the ball, not some bean counter's stopwatch.
26
27 Well, see, here's the thing - that's not what we're asking for. We can't
28 really participate in the internal development - the bugs are available,
29 but we don't know what's being done about them. We don't know if our
30 work would be a duplication of effort, or a wrong track, or not really
31 useful. So we *can't* help fix the problems. At the same time, we get no
32 communication on how things are progressing - are we getting close? Is
33 it months away? Has the entire development team gone on vacation?
34
35 I need software that's "actually ready when it is ready" too. So when
36 I'm dealing with an Open Source software distribution, I have to wonder
37 why releases are so far apart and include so little community
38 communication and involvement.
41 Matt Beland
42 matt@××××××××××××××.org
43 http://www.rearviewmirror.org