From: Tom Syroid <tom@×××××××××××.com>
To: Matt Beland <matt@××××××××××××××.org>, gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: When is Gentoo 1.4 going to be released?
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 14:43:35
1 Hi Matt ;-) long time, no chat.
2
3 --On Tuesday, October 22, 2002 12:15:49 -0700 Matt Beland
4 <matt@××××××××××××××.org> wrote:
5
6 > We want the Gentoo team to let us know when they're going to
7 > let us take full advantage of the portage system again. Frankly, I (and
8 > I suspect most others) could care less about the 1.4 release in and of
9 > itself. Sure, a new version of the compiler and so on would be nice, but
10 > I can get that on my own if necessary. The problem is that the portage
11 > tree is frozen waiting for 1.4, and has been for some time.
12
13 Without trying to be contentious here (in other words, simple honest
14 question)...
15
16 I know you well enough that I can safely say you're not about to go off
17 using a new version of something on any kind of critcal box without testing
18 it first. So on the assumption that you have already discerned
19 program/tool/system utility is "ready for prime time", what's wrong with
20 simply edited the "frozen" entry in package.mask and installing it?
21
22 While I concur that the Gentoo development team as a whole could do a
23 better job of communicating TODO's and loose timelines to the community, I
24 don't see how a frozen Portage tree is preventing you from utilizing the
25 distribution in any way you heart desires.
26
27 Best,
28 /tom