From: "Anthony G. Basile" <blueness@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Tightening EAPI rules
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2014 13:23:04
1 On 02/10/2014 07:43 AM, Patrick Lauer wrote:
2 > EAPI 4 becomes deprecated when/if there's a new EAPI allowed in-tree
3 > (EAPI 6, most likely)
4
5 I am concerned about making this a "rule". While I think its okay for
6 the 4/5/6 move, I'm not sure if it will always be a good idea. 1)
7 "Deprecating" an EAPI can mean breakage --- see my next point. 2) To tie
8 the deprecation of the older EAPI to the introduction of a newer one can
9 delay the introduction of the newer one and possibly needed features.
10 You will connect the question of "are we ready to deprecate X" with the
11 question "we need to introduce Y for needed features a, b and c."
12
13 The statement "Deprecating an EAPI can mean breakage" depends on what we
14 mean by "deprecating." I'm assuming here we mean something like repoman
15 won't allow commits at EAPI=1,2,3 but that ebuilds in the tree at those
16 EAPI's will continue working. Eg. dosed which was deprecated in the
17 EAPI 3 to 4 jump.
18
19 I think we should look at the question of deprecating EAPI's on and ad
20 hoc basis with discussion on the list and a vote in the council.
21
22 --Tony
26 > Please no bikeshedding,
27
28 It should be red.
34 Anthony G. Basile, Ph.D.
35 Gentoo Linux Developer [Hardened]
36 E-Mail : blueness@g.o
37 GnuPG FP : 1FED FAD9 D82C 52A5 3BAB DC79 9384 FA6E F52D 4BBA
38 GnuPG ID : F52D4BBA