From: Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Tightening EAPI rules
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2014 13:43:10
1 On 02/10/2014 09:23 PM, Anthony G. Basile wrote:
2 > The statement "Deprecating an EAPI can mean breakage" depends on what we
3 > mean by "deprecating." I'm assuming here we mean something like repoman
4 > won't allow commits at EAPI=1,2,3 but that ebuilds in the tree at those
5 > EAPI's will continue working. Eg. dosed which was deprecated in the
6 > EAPI 3 to 4 jump.
7
8 Right now EAPI 1 and 2 are deprecated, which means repoman prints some
9 warnings that get ignored and nothing happens.
10
11 Going from the current state I would distinguish between deprecated
12 (=unwanted, but tolerated) and banned (not tolerated)
15 > I think we should look at the question of deprecating EAPI's on and ad
16 > hoc basis with discussion on the list and a vote in the council.
17
18 I think it's safe to deprecate the antepenultimate EAPI, and then do the
19 banning on a more delayed and controlled basis.
20
21 Patrick