From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Tightening EAPI rules
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2014 15:31:45
1 >>>>> On Mon, 10 Feb 2014, Patrick Lauer wrote:
2
3 > On 02/10/2014 09:23 PM, Anthony G. Basile wrote:
4 >> I think we should look at the question of deprecating EAPI's on and
5 >> ad hoc basis with discussion on the list and a vote in the council.
6
7 +1
8
9 > I think it's safe to deprecate the antepenultimate EAPI, and then do
10 > the banning on a more delayed and controlled basis.
11
12 I'd rather argue in terms of time instead of version numbers, because
13 of the upgrade path for old systems. We guarantee one year for stable
14 systems, but IMHO we should be more conservative for EAPI deprecation
15 and go for two or three years there.
16
17 Anyway, the Portage version supporting EAPI 4 became stable on
18 2011-03-17 [1], so it looks like EAPI 3 could be deprecated soon.
19
20 Ulrich
21
22 [1] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:PMS#EAPI_life_cycle