From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Tightening EAPI rules
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2014 15:42:39
1 On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 10:31 AM, Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
2 > I'd rather argue in terms of time instead of version numbers, because
3 > of the upgrade path for old systems. We guarantee one year for stable
4 > systems, but IMHO we should be more conservative for EAPI deprecation
5 > and go for two or three years there.
6
7 By EAPI deprecation it is meant that we discourage using the old EAPI
8 in the tree. Removing support for it from a package manager should of
9 course happen much later (well after it is banned).
10
11 There is always the upgrade path problem when system packages start
12 using the new EAPI and eventually the dependencies to do a portage
13 upgrade can't be installed using an old version of portage. However,
14 that problem exists regardless of EAPI deprecation - it is more about
15 when we migrate system packages or whether we save tree/distfile
16 snapshots and so on. Even if we don't deprecate the old EAPIs if
17 @system maintainers start bumping their packages there will eventually
18 be problems for users who don't update soon.
19
20 Rich