From: Andrew Gaffney <agaffney@×××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo 1.4.1 and GRP
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 18:22:19
1 Sven Vermeulen wrote:
2 > On Mon, Sep 15, 2003 at 11:59:23AM -0400, Brad Laue wrote:
3 >
4 >>A concern of mine about many Linux distributions is that in the long
5 >>haul between binary releases of a distribution, the packages included
6 >>with the release can become quite old. In Gentoo's case, if one GRP
7 >>installed their system nine months from now and emerge -u'd, they would
8 >>be faced with a considerable number of packages to update (I wouldn't be
9 >>surprised if it was all of them).
12 > I'm going to be labeled as "not-user-friendly-bastard" on this one, but if
13 > you have a user that GRP installs Gentoo, and then wants to GRP-update with
14 > every release (and keeping in mind that drobbins want to increase the
15 > release-frequency), I'd have to say that he should take a look at the binary
16 > distributions.
17 >
18 > Which brings the topic to:
21 >>Realising that Gentoo is of course a source-based distribution, quickly
22 >>and easily installing the latest and greatest by using emerge -k, then
23 >>optimizing by rebuilding incrementally has surely sparked a great deal
24 >>of additional interest in the distribution.
27 > This is something that all distributions deliver: binary packages and an
28 > "easy" way to source-compile packages but keep them in the database. If
29 > Gentoo would go the same way, we are neglecting the source-based stuff.
30 >
31 > We should not focus on GRP-after-installation. As I see it, GRP isn't even
32 > the main installation method, but an option. If I am mistaken on this
33 > subject, please say so, because I am writing everything with this in mind (I
34 > am thinking of our handbook-to-come).
35
36 I completely agree with you on this one. GRP is nothing but a way to
37 quickly get your system up and running so that you can use your system
38 while you are re-compiling everything with your optimizations and USE flags.
39
40 If Gentoo is going to have binary packages available for *updates* then
41 we might as well just get rid of portage and switch to RPM packages
42 while we're at it :)
45 Andrew Gaffney
49 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list