From: Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo 1.4.1 and GRP
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 18:07:23
1 On Mon, Sep 15, 2003 at 11:59:23AM -0400, Brad Laue wrote:
2 > A concern of mine about many Linux distributions is that in the long
3 > haul between binary releases of a distribution, the packages included
4 > with the release can become quite old. In Gentoo's case, if one GRP
5 > installed their system nine months from now and emerge -u'd, they would
6 > be faced with a considerable number of packages to update (I wouldn't be
7 > surprised if it was all of them).
8
9 I'm going to be labeled as "not-user-friendly-bastard" on this one, but if
10 you have a user that GRP installs Gentoo, and then wants to GRP-update with
11 every release (and keeping in mind that drobbins want to increase the
12 release-frequency), I'd have to say that he should take a look at the binary
13 distributions.
14
15 Which brings the topic to:
16
17 > Realising that Gentoo is of course a source-based distribution, quickly
18 > and easily installing the latest and greatest by using emerge -k, then
19 > optimizing by rebuilding incrementally has surely sparked a great deal
20 > of additional interest in the distribution.
21
22 This is something that all distributions deliver: binary packages and an
23 "easy" way to source-compile packages but keep them in the database. If
24 Gentoo would go the same way, we are neglecting the source-based stuff.
25
26 We should not focus on GRP-after-installation. As I see it, GRP isn't even
27 the main installation method, but an option. If I am mistaken on this
28 subject, please say so, because I am writing everything with this in mind (I
29 am thinking of our handbook-to-come).
30
31 These are, ofcourse, my thoughts on the subject.
32
33 Wkr,
34 Sven Vermeulen
37 ^__^ And Larry saw that it was Good.