From: Brad Laue <brad@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo 1.4.1 and GRP
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 18:26:26
1 On Mon, 2003-09-15 at 14:04, Sven Vermeulen wrote:
2 > I'm going to be labeled as "not-user-friendly-bastard" on this one, but if
3 > you have a user that GRP installs Gentoo, and then wants to GRP-update with
4 > every release (and keeping in mind that drobbins want to increase the
5 > release-frequency), I'd have to say that he should take a look at the binary
6 > distributions.
7
8 I was going more for the manageability aspect - drop Gentoo in place
9 inside 30 minutes, update to the latest GRP packages, then begin
10 optimizing - I'd like to think of myself as an advanced user, and I'd
11 really find it traumatic to have to wait 56 hours for my Athlon XP to
12 rebuild from stage1 into GNOME 2.4 and get myself back to a functional
13 workstation.
14
15 All the benefits of being source-based remain, all the performance and
16 customizability aspects of portage, but now we have a fast/up-to-date
17 method of getting a system running.
18
19 > This is something that all distributions deliver: binary packages and an
20 > "easy" way to source-compile packages but keep them in the database. If
21 > Gentoo would go the same way, we are neglecting the source-based stuff.
22
23 How so, beyond what we currently do with GRP?
24
25 Brad
29 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list