From: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: mail-filter/milter-regex pull request #10004
Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2018 23:39:51
1 On 11/08/2018 03:36 PM, Ralph Seichter wrote:
2 > * Michael Orlitzky:
3 >
4 >> It's an open secret that packages maintained by
5 >> category-name@g.o are in reality unmaintained; or are
6 >> maintained by one guy (who may or may not be on the alias).
7 >
8 > As somebody who did not know that, and who was three weeks ago told to
9 > contact the Net-Mail team, I find this more than a little annoying. My
10 > time is just as valuable as everybody else's, after all. Why not flag
11 > packages with "needs maintainer" if the listed team is basically a
12 > mirage?
13
14 Basically, because we don't know until one of us goes through the same
15 process you just did. File a bug, no one responds. Ping the bug, no one
16 responds. Try to highlight the alias on IRC, no one responds. Eventually
17 announce I'M GOING TO COMMIT THIS, and no one responds. Then one day,
18 announce I'M REPLACING YOU AS MAINTAINER, and no one responds. This can
19 take a year.
20
21 Some cleanup already took place when we switched from herds to projects,
22 but there are still a lot of packages in limbo, is my impression. It was
23 a bad idea to put down a vague email alias as maintainer in the first
24 place; we're just paying for it now.