From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Fixing the TERM mess
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2005 22:17:49
1 On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 00:00:26 +0200 Henrik Brix Andersen
2 <brix@g.o> wrote:
3 | > * Install, either with the terminal (as is done by rxvt-unicode
4 | > currently), or as part of ncurses, proper terminfo definitions for
5 | > these terminals.
6 |
7 | One could argue for both solutions here: it would make sense to
8 | install it along with the offending terminal, since this is where we
9 | change the value of the $TERM variable.
10
11 The problem with this is that non-X boxes will be missing the terminfo
12 descriptions.
13
14 | Perhaps we should just once-and-for-all submit a patch to ncurses
15 | which includes these new terminfo definitions? We will then patch our
16 | foo-terminal ebuilds to set a proper value of $TERM. Then when
17 | upstream (hopefully) decides to change their $TERM value to something
18 | sane, ncurses will already have the support, and we can remove the
19 | local patch along with the version bump of foo-terminal.
20
21 The problem with this is that some terminals gain new capabilities
22 fairly regularly. One example is rxvt-unicode, which is still putting
23 out regular releases.
24
25 A third possibility is to split out the terminfo db from ncurses. This
26 will let us do frequent updates if necessary. It may also help the
27 embedded people -- we could add a USE=minimal which only installs
28 'common' definitions and leaves out support for obscure 1950s line
29 printers. There may be a gaping hole in this idea. I haven't thought it
30 through much...
31
32 | > * Include TERM stuff in policy so that the problem doesn't crop up
33 | > again a few months later.
34 |
35 | I'm not sure what you mean by "policy"?
36
37 That thing we don't have yet.
40 Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Vim, Shell tools, Fluxbox, Cron)
41 Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
42 Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm