From: Ian Stakenvicius <axs@g.o>
To: "gentoo-dev@l.g.o" <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] On the good usage of subslots
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2013 21:15:23
1 On 2013-02-11, at 3:53 PM, James Cloos <cloos@×××××××.com> wrote:
2
3 >>>>>> "AB" == Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o> writes:
4 >
5 > AB> Well, if we have to advertise the usage of this option that basically
6 > AB> disables subslot rebuilds, it only means we are doing something
7 > AB> seriously wrong with subslots :=)
8 >
9 > So far, I've found the sub slots to be more of a pain in the ass than
10 > helpful.
11 >
12 > They get in the way of things like automated 'emerge --sync;emerge -upvDN',
13 > since portage craps out complaining about the subslots rather than showing
14 > the list of what need to be built.
15 >
16 > Perhaps that is just an implementation detail to be worked out, but for now
17 > they haven't done anything helpful here.
18
19 this must be an implementation detail...
20
21 the point of subslots and slot operators is to allow the revdep-rebuilds to be inlined so that low library updates don't break later application emerges during the -uDN ... the output should be the same as a "emerge -uDNpv world" plus a "revdep-rebuild -p" once everything is subslotted...
22
23 it shouldn't affect your usual emerge process beyond that. is the conflict that emerge craps out on a subslot specific thing or is it a regular slot conflict made harder to read?
28 > -JimC
29 > --
30 > James Cloos <cloos@×××××××.com> OpenPGP: 1024D/ED7DAEA6
31 >