From: Ian Stakenvicius <axs@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: UPower upstream (git master) and 0.99 release -> No sys-power/pm-utils support anymore
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2014 13:26:16
2 Hash: SHA256
3
4 On 03/06/14 08:08 AM, Tom Wijsman wrote:
5 > On Tue, 3 Jun 2014 07:35:42 -0400 Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
6 > wrote:
7 >
8 >> This probably could have used a news item, as the change impacts
9 >> both stable and ~arch users.
10 >
11 > Are we going to write a news item every time systemd acquires a
12 > new mandatory relationship with a reverse dependency?
13 >
14 >> They need to do an "emerge -1 sys-power/upower-pm-utils" to
15 >> actually get the new package,
16 >
17 > But the user doesn't want systemd; so, then why does the user have
18 > to perform a manual step every time that systemd has an
19 > acquirement?
22 That's easy -- we don't have a way to do vdb updates that will split a
23 package, only move a package. And since this isn't a package move (as
24 the original package still exists) we can't leverage that.
27 >> otherwise portage is going to try to switch them from udev to
28 >> systemd,
29 >
30 > There is the problem, the user doesn't want systemd; so, why is
31 > Portage (regardless of a systemd mask) trying to bring it to the
32 > user anyway?
33 >
34 >> since packages like kdelibs list upower first, and portage has no
35 >> way of knowing that this is a big change.
36 >
37 > And this is where you can make Portage smarter.
38 >
39 > http://www.funtoo.org/Flavors_and_Mix-ins
40 >
41 > We don't have to go through all this if you had a "no-systemd"
42 > mix-in, where you could simply make out the choices in favor of the
43 > user instead of having to document and announce them all over the
44 > place.
45 >
46 > That mix-in could do something like masking the new upower that
47 > depends on systemd; when doing so, no more blockers all over the
48 > place.
51 Technically we could do this via a systemd profile too -- ie, mask new
52 upower everywhere but systemd profiles, and in systemd profile mask
53 upower-pm-utils. However, that doesn't get around the actual need to
54 - --unmerge upower and emerge upower-pm-utils (or hopefully just do the
55 latter as a soft-block will do the unmerge?)