From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFCv2: USE=avcodec (+ USE=ffmpeg/libav)
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2015 20:15:27
1 On Tue, 20 Jan 2015 12:12:32 -0800
2 Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o> wrote:
3 > >> Regardless of whether or not (or how) we choose to apply
4 > >> REQUIRED_USE to various cases, I think we should keep REQUIRED_USE
5 > >> around, since having a machine-readable representation of these
6 > >> constraints can potentially be extremely useful to dependency
7 > >> resolvers.
8 > >
9 > > [evidence needed]
10 >
11 > REQUIRED_USE is already successfully used to apply constraints that
12 > would otherwise need to be enforced by executing shell code in
13 > pkg_pretend. I think it's obvious that the declarative and
14 > machine-readable nature of REQUIRED_USE make if preferable to using
15 > pkg_pretend in many cases.
16
17 It's not obvious at all. The evidence so far suggests that good human
18 readable messages are important, and that if we're ever going to get
19 automated resolution then we'll need a new not-SAT-based format anyway.
22 Ciaran McCreesh