From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFCv2: USE=avcodec (+ USE=ffmpeg/libav)
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2015 20:23:40
1 On 01/20/2015 12:15 PM, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Tue, 20 Jan 2015 12:12:32 -0800
3 > Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o> wrote:
4 >>>> Regardless of whether or not (or how) we choose to apply
5 >>>> REQUIRED_USE to various cases, I think we should keep REQUIRED_USE
6 >>>> around, since having a machine-readable representation of these
7 >>>> constraints can potentially be extremely useful to dependency
8 >>>> resolvers.
9 >>>
10 >>> [evidence needed]
11 >>
12 >> REQUIRED_USE is already successfully used to apply constraints that
13 >> would otherwise need to be enforced by executing shell code in
14 >> pkg_pretend. I think it's obvious that the declarative and
15 >> machine-readable nature of REQUIRED_USE make if preferable to using
16 >> pkg_pretend in many cases.
17 >
18 > It's not obvious at all. The evidence so far suggests that good human
19 > readable messages are important, and that if we're ever going to get
20 > automated resolution then we'll need a new not-SAT-based format anyway.
21
22 Nothing stops us from using pkg_pretend right now. Since REQUIRED_USE
23 remains useful, I would suggest that we keep it around until we have
24 implemented a replacement that allows for automated resolution.
25 --
26 Thanks,
27 Zac