From: Joshua Kinard <kumba@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Last rites: some old X11 packages
Date: Sun, 03 Mar 2019 20:03:26
1 On 3/3/2019 14:15, Matt Turner wrote:
2 > On Sun, Mar 3, 2019 at 1:09 AM Joshua Kinard <kumba@g.o> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> On 3/2/2019 13:46, Matt Turner wrote:
5 >>> # Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o> (02 Mar 2019)
6 >>> # Old, unused drivers.
7 >>> # Masked for removal in 30 days. Bug #679256
8 >>
9 >>> x11-drivers/xf86-video-newport
10 >>
11 >> This is for the SGI Indy's newport graphics board. Does it not build with
12 >> modern Xorg or anything, or not maintained upstream? My Indy is dead due to
13 >> a bad RTC, so I can't test it for the foreseeable future.
14 >
15 > Yes, it no longer builds and it requires packed 24-bit color support
16 > which has been removed from the xserver.
17
18 Fair enough. Could that bit be documented in the package.mask entry for the
19 record, should anyone want to tackle trying to resurrect it, they'll know
20 why it was masked and removed?
23 > We would have to package an old xserver for -newport to be useful
24 > (which is something I'd be interested to do with sufficient time).
25
26 Long down on my TODO list is to figure out how to replace the RTC and
27 resurrect the Indy. Wesolows gave it to me years ago, and it was pretty
28 chipper for a 150MHz box. But the disk drive died and I never got around to
29 replacing it. Maybe one day...
33 Joshua Kinard
34 Gentoo/MIPS
35 kumba@g.o
36 rsa6144/5C63F4E3F5C6C943 2015-04-27
37 177C 1972 1FB8 F254 BAD0 3E72 5C63 F4E3 F5C6 C943
38
39 "The past tempts us, the present confuses us, the future frightens us. And
40 our lives slip away, moment by moment, lost in that vast, terrible in-between."
41
42 --Emperor Turhan, Centauri Republic