From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Review: desc/cpu_flags_x86.desc
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2015 08:52:55
1 Dnia 2015-01-19, o godz. 11:38:26
2 Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o> napisał(a):
3
4 > On Sun, 18 Jan 2015 21:44:05 +0100
5 > Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
6 >
7 > > Hello,
8 > >
9 > > I would like to commit the following flags as cpu_flags_x86_desc.
10 > > The list combines global USE flags with some local USE flags I've been
11 > > able to find.
14 > > 3dnow - Use the 3DNow! instruction set
15 > > 3dnowext - Use the Enhanced 3DNow! instruction set
16 > > aes-ni - Enable support for Intel's AES instruction set (aes in
17 > > cpuinfo) avx - Adds support for Advanced Vector Extensions
18 > > instructions avx2 - Adds support for Advanced Vector Extensions 2
19 > > instructions fma - Use the Fused Multiply Add instruction set
20 > > mmx - Use the MMX instruction set
21 > > mmxext - Use the Extended MMX instruction set (intersection of
22 > > Enhanced 3DNow! and SSE instruction sets) (3dnowext or sse in
23 > > cpuinfo) padlock - Use VIA padlock instructions popcnt - Enable
24 > > popcnt instruction support sse - Use the SSE instruction set
25 > > sse2 - Use the SSE2 instruction set
26 > > sse3 - Use the SSE3 instruction set (pni in cpuinfo)
27 > > sse4 - Enable SSE4 instruction support
28 > > sse4_1 - Enable SSE4.1 instruction support
29 > > sse4_2 - Enable SSE4.2 instruction support
30 > > sse4a - Enable SSE4a instruction support
31 > > ssse3 - Use the SSSE3 instruction set
34 > ewwww... are you aware that these descriptions are close to useless ?
35 > 'foo - enable foo' -> thanks for the information I couldn't have
36 > guessed...
37
38 It's not my fault we have to put some description there!
39
40 > you already have more useful ones available:
41 >
42 > <flag name="fma3">Enables FMA3 optimizations: AMD processors starting
43 > with Piledriver architecture and Intel Haswell based processors or
44 > later.</flag>
45 > <flag name="fma4">Enables FMA4 optimizations: AMD processors starting
46 > with Bulldozer architecture.</flag>
47 > <flag name="sse4_2">Enables SSE4.2 optimizations: Nehalem-based Intel
48 > Core i7 or later.</flag>
49 > <flag name="ssse3">Faster floating point optimization for SSSE3 capable
50 > chips (Intel Core 2 and later chips)</flag>
51 >
52 > and so on...
53
54 Feel free to update them yourself. As far as I'm concerned, those
55 descriptions are worse than useless because they end up being
56 confusing. Many CPU lines had weird models with more or less
57 instruction sets, so brand name aren't really helpful. It's better to
58 focus on /proc/cpuinfo.
61 Best regards,
62 Michał Górny