From: Ferris McCormick <fmccor@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Monthly Gentoo Council Reminder for October
Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2007 13:28:03
1 On Mon, 2007-10-01 at 05:30 +0000, Mike Frysinger wrote:
2 > This is your monthly friendly reminder ! Same bat time (typically
3 > the 2nd Thursday at 2000 UTC / 1600 EST), same bat channel
4 > (#gentoo-council @ irc.freenode.net) !
5 >
6 > If you have something you'd wish for us to chat about, maybe even
7 > vote on, let us know ! Simply reply to this e-mail for the whole
8 > Gentoo dev list to see.
9 >
10 Two topics: The first substantive, the second procedural.
11
12 Substantive
13 -----------
14 It is not clear whether or not Gentoo currently has a Code of Conduct or
15 even if the Council wishes it to. As you know, we do have a draft of
16 one, at least, but it is not complete. Now, that in itself is not a
17 problem because a final Code requires an iterative process based on
18 experience and feedback. If we start with a "final" Code of Conduct, it
19 will be wrong and subject to revision anyway.
20
21 What are not clear are (1) whether the Code of Conduct is in effect; (2)
22 if so, how we enforce it. Code of Conduct explicitly calls out a
23 Proctors group as its executive arm, but previous Council disbanded the
24 proctors. So as it stands, if we are serious about a Code of Conduct,
25 we have to resurrect the proctors or some equivalent enforcement
26 mechanism. If we are not serious about having a Code of Conduct, I'd
27 like Council to explain why not. (As an aside, I will mention that
28 devrel does receive complaints on occasion which would properly fall
29 under the Code of Conduct and proctor control --- either because any
30 policy violation complained of falls under the Code of Conduct better
31 than under a devrel problem, or because it is a user/developer issue, or
32 because by the time it gets to us it's stale, or .... You might get the
33 idea.) Anyway, Code of Conduct status needs clarification and action.
34
35 I can go on with this at length, but perhaps this reply is not the place
36 for it.
37
38 Procedural
39 ----------
40
41 The election for this Council and its aftermath shows that we are not
42 sure how to handle a situation in which it appears a candidate will not
43 be able to serve if elected. As a more extreme example than the one we
44 faced this time, suppose a candidate resigns or is suspended. I am
45 still not sure, for example, who are actually Council members right now.
46
47 > Keep in mind that every GLEP *re*submission to the council for review
48 > must first be sent to the gentoo-dev mailing list 7 days (minimum)
49 > before being submitted as an agenda item which itself occurs 7 days
50 > before the meeting. Simply put, the gentoo-dev mailing list must be
51 > notified at least 14 days before the meeting itself.
52 >
53 > For more info on the Gentoo Council, feel free to browse our homepage:
54 > http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/council/
55
56 Flames to someplace else, please. Otherwise, as always, comments,
57 corrections, additions, etc. welcome.
58
59 Regards,
60 Ferris
61 --
62 Ferris McCormick (P44646, MI) <fmccor@g.o>
63 Developer, Gentoo Linux (Devrel, Sparc)