From: Chrissy Fullam <musikc@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-dev] Monthly Gentoo Council Reminder for October
Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2007 14:47:46
1 > From: Ferris McCormick [mailto:fmccor@g.o]
2 > Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Monthly Gentoo Council Reminder for October
3 >
4 > Substantive
5 > -----------
6 > It is not clear whether or not Gentoo currently has a Code of
7 > Conduct or even if the Council wishes it to.
8 > (1) whether the Code of Conduct is in effect;
9 > (2) if so, how we enforce it.
10 > (3) Code of Conduct explicitly calls out a Proctors group as its
11 > executive arm, but previous Council disbanded the proctors.
12 > (4) If we are not serious about having a Code of Conduct, I'd
13 > like Council to explain why not.
14
15 I think these are best addressed by Council members and look forward to that
16 discussion. We can clearly see where Council disbanded the Proctors project
17 (http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/council/meeting-logs/20070712-summary.txt),
18 but it does not answer how the CoC would be enforced or if it should be
19 rolled into a more general policy, enforced by existing teams (DevRel or
20 UserRel come to mind.) I'm sure assumptions were made, however, they were
21 not documented.
22
23 > I will mention that devrel does receive complaints on
24 > occasion which would properly fall under the Code of Conduct
25 > and proctor control --- either because any policy violation
26 > complained of falls under the Code of Conduct better than
27 > under a devrel problem,
28
29 Developer Relations has had no problem, reported or otherwise discussed,
30 with addressing these issues.
31
32 > or because it is a user/developer issue,
33
34 Requests that are user/developer issue in nature should currently either go
35 through User Relations or Developer Relations, depending on the nature,
36 though we work together fine.
37
38 > or because by the time it gets to us it's stale,
39
40 I'm not aware of any issue escalated to Developer Relations that was stale
41 by the time we were made aware, though I suppose the term stale is subject
42 to interpretation.
43
44 > Anyway, Code of Conduct status needs clarification and action.
45
46 It seems that there is some confusion and that would certainly call for
47 documented clarification.
48
49 > Procedural
50 > ----------
51 >
52 > The election for this Council and its aftermath shows that we
53 > are not sure how to handle a situation in which it appears a
54 > candidate will not be able to serve if elected. As a more
55 > extreme example than the one we faced this time, suppose a
56 > candidate resigns or is suspended. I am still not sure, for
57 > example, who are actually Council members right now.
58
59 The current council is located on the Council page.
60 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/council/
61
62 Flameeyes did send an email, that vapier resent for those who didn't get it,
63 where flameeyes agreed that jokey would be his proxy while he focused on
64 getting better and getting back to Gentoo work.
65
66 In the past we have had Council members leave and be replaced, though I
67 don't see the policy for that. Perhaps that should be included in the
68 discussion of what to do when a Council member, even if they have a proxy,
69 is away for an extended period or undetermined period of time.
70
71 Maybe I've shed some insight, maybe I've confused some of you more, however
72 I think these are good topics for discussion in the upcoming Council
73 meeting.
74
75 Kind regards,
76 Christina Fullam
77 Gentoo Developer Relations Lead | Gentoo Public Relations
81 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list