From: Kent Fredric <kentfredric@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Better way to direct upstream bugs upstream?
Date: Thu, 03 Sep 2015 11:28:43
1 On 3 September 2015 at 07:17, Paweł Hajdan, Jr. <phajdan.jr@g.o> wrote:
2 > Do you have specific examples?
5 None that I can currently recall, I've just long resigned myself from
6 trying to care with Google products. The instances I can recall were
7 more defects in their web services, some where there was literally no
8 place to go, and I just kept getting the feeling nobody cared.
9
10 eg: I found a coding defect in the Google Ads code that injected the
11 version string from whatever flash implementation you were using
12 verbatim inside an HTML Tags attributes without caring to escape it,
13 which meant if you had a competing implementation(eg: Gnash ) that
14 used a double-quote mark in its version string, Ad injection could
15 cause entire page layout to be broken.
16
17 Or for instance, when GMail overhauled their email service, despite
18 the pleas of developers to have a "Don't top-post by default" toggle
19 in the settings, the whole developer community was deemed unimportant
20 and that such a feature could never happen.
21
22 So now every time I reply to something, I have to fight with GMail to
23 make sure I highlight the whole message manually first, making sure
24 not to have my selector accidentally slip outside the email text, and
25 *then* hit reply, which makes it quote it instead.
26
27 The latter choice has been the one that stuck with me the most,
28 because I'm constantly feeling like I'm being slapped in the face by
29 it.
30
31 Granted these instances are not instances of "Software I run on my
32 machine", but they are still software to me.
33
34 </tirade>
37 Kent
38