From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New distfile mirror layout
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2019 20:49:34
1 On Fri, 2019-10-18 at 15:53 -0400, Richard Yao wrote:
2 > > On Oct 18, 2019, at 9:42 AM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
3 > >
4 > > Hi, everybody.
5 > >
6 > > It is my pleasure to announce that yesterday (EU) evening we've switched
7 > > to a new distfile mirror layout. Users will be switching to the new
8 > > layout either as they upgrade Portage to 2.3.77 or -- if they upgraded
9 > > already -- as their caches expire (24hrs).
10 > >
11 > > The new layout is mostly a bow towards mirror admins, for some of whom
12 > > having a 60000+ files in a single directory have been a problem.
13 > > However, I suppose some of you also found e.g. the directory index
14 > > hardly usable due to its size.
15 > This sounds like a filesystem issue. Do we know which filesystems are suffering?
16 >
17 > ZFS should be fine. I believe ext2/ext3 have problems with this many files. ext4 is probably okay, but don’t quote me on that.
18
19 Ext2, VFAT and NTFS were mentioned on the bug [1], though I suppose this
20 may apply only to older ntfs versions. NFS has been mentioned too.
21
22 However, just because modern filesystems can handle them efficiently, it
23 doesn't mean having directories that huge comes with zero cost.
24
25 [1] https://bugs.gentoo.org/534528
28 Best regards,
29 Michał Górny