From: Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
To: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Stack smash protected daemons
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 20:29:08
1 On Thu, 2004-09-23 at 15:03, Mike Frysinger wrote:
2 > On Thursday 23 September 2004 10:47 am, Marius Mauch wrote:
3 > > On 09/22/04 Mike Frysinger wrote:
4 > > > On Wednesday 22 September 2004 08:42 pm, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
5 > > > > Or, as a FEATURE, it can be easily enabled. Just like it can be as a
6 > > > > CFLAG.
7 > > >
8 > > > well, considering we keep getting shot down for per-package CFLAGS,
9 > > > that's really not an option
10 > > > -mike
11 > >
12 > > You don't have per-package FEATURES either, so that's pointless.
13 >
14 > no it's not ... you can check $FEATURES in each package for autossp ...
18 > but by
19 > the same token we could check $USE too
20
21 agreed
22
23 USE is a lot easier to use and I feel is more readable logic wise in
24 ebuilds and would have the advantage of us actually seeing what packages
25 has been fixed via -pv (without having to keep greping the whole darn
26 tree)
27
28 But the disadvantage here is that we have to explicitly add said USE
29 flag to the profiles (which you know a certain somebody might come right
30 in and disable it) unless we rename said flag/feature (cuz you don't
31 want "no"flags) to something like USE=idiot then the logic in ebuilds
32 could work as. use idiot || append-flags -fstack-protector
33 Or perhaps even following in the footsteps of x11-base/xorg which has
34 "insecure-drivers" but maybe using the name "insecure-cflags"
35
36 But how we get there does not matter so much to me as the end result is
37 what counts.
38
39 > -mike
40 >
41 > --
42 > gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list
43 --
44 Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
45 Gentoo (hardened,security,infrastructure,embedded,toolchain) Developer