From: Tom H <tomh0665@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo Devel <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2018 13:26:51
1 On Wed, Jan 10, 2018 at 5:57 AM, David Seifert <soap@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Wed, 2018-01-10 at 08:55 +0100, Lars Wendler wrote:
3 >> On Wed, 10 Jan 2018 08:48:56 +0300 Eray Aslan wrote:
4 >>> On Tue, Jan 09, 2018 at 10:20:56PM +0100, Andreas K. Huettel wrote:
5 >>>>
6 >>>> * Posting to the list will only be possible to Gentoo developers
7 >>>> and whitelisted additional participants.
8 >>>
9 >>> This is so contrary to what I and I thought Gentoo stands for:
10 >>> openness, transparency, inclusiveness even when these require a
11 >>> rather thick skin and result in high noise. It's a price worth
12 >>> paying.
13 >>>
14 >>> I guess I should a) pay more attention to council elections b)
15 >>> consider the idea that the whole council thing as it stands now is
16 >>> just not working.
17 >>
18 >> Wow. I couldn't have said it better. Seems we're turning into an
19 >> elitist club or something... I wonder how many users we're going to
20 >> loose on this one. Well done council :-(
21 >
22 > If your only reason to use Gentoo is because you can post to the main
23 > developer ML, and not because we try to provide a great distribution
24 > with lots of choice, a current toolchain and lots of customization,
25 > then you're likely using the wrong distribution.
26
27 It's a question of perception. Some users might come to feel that the
28 Gentoo developers are not interested in their input, unlike the
29 developers of all other distributions (that I know of).
30
31 Gentoo's singling itself itself out as less receptive to its users
32 simply because some its developers are too Trumpian to resist arguing
33 with people who criticize their work or Gentoo.