From: Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: RFC: news item for upower
Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2014 16:26:43
1 On 04/06/14 19:21, Duncan wrote:
2 > Rich Freeman posted on Wed, 04 Jun 2014 07:41:23 -0400 as excerpted:
3 >
4 >> On Tue, Jun 3, 2014 at 4:24 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
5 >> wrote:
6 >>> Yes, it *is* a simple matter of running one easy command. Portage does
7 >>> that for you with trivial ease. But portage doesn't tell you *which* is
8 >>> the one easy command.
9 >>>
10 >>> A news item does that.
11 >> That is the real challenge here. It isn't obvious to most users that
12 >> upower is causing the problem, and it is even less obvious to users
13 >> without using Google that there is an alternative.
14 >>
15 >> Anybody who doesn't read the lists or GMN wouldn't probably wouldn't
16 >> realize that the simple fix exists.
17 > This.
18 >
19 > It's only simple for me because I saw it right here ahead of time, and
20 > it's only simple for ssuominen because he knows about the other choice
21 > since he created the package.
22
23 Wrong. I'm always using the -t (--tree) flag with Portage and I would
24 have seen upower being the culprit immediately,
25 and second command would have been `eix upower` to see available
26 versions, at which point I would have seen
27 upower-pm-utils, and figured it out.
28 Just like with any other B blocker that comes up with normal upgrade
29 process. I've never since 2006 needed to ask
30 anyone anything regarding blockers, and it has always been trivial to
31 find out these things. Long before anything
32 called "news items" even existed.
33
34 - Samuli