From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-core] db4
Date: Sat, 24 May 2003 09:19:30
1 On Saturday 24 May 2003 10:29, Paul de Vrieze wrote:
2 > On Saturday 24 May 2003 08:41, Daniel Robbins wrote:
3 > > I replied that I'd like this fixed, and Paul replied and said that he'd
4 > > get on it. It doesn't appear that this effort has been completed as the
5 > > current db in portage still uses non-versioned symbols. We should get
6 > > this done before the 1.4 release so that new users don't have to worry
7 > > about recompiling all their db-based apps.
8 > >
9 > > I just talked to Seemant on irc. He's going to get the right people
10 > > working on this so that we get some kind of good solution in place asap.
11 > > Thanks in advance to anyone who helps out in this effort.
12 >
13 > Oops, I found that I forgot to commit the corrected versions.
14 > Committing them now. Note that only db4 versions will have versioned
15 > symbols, as versioning db3 will create the same breakage as versioning db4
16 > will.
17
18 As a note to all people actually using db4. Compiling this new version WILL
19 force you to recompile all db4/db dependent applications. As db4 is masked
20 there is no clean upgrade path as yet.
21
22 To clarify the db3 breakage if it where versioned. Basically versioned symbols
23 will give all db functions a name with a version in it. As this is hidden by
24 db.h applications don't notice it, but the dynamic linker will and it will
25 find unresolved symbols.
26
27 Paul
30 Paul de Vrieze