From: Sergey Popov <pinkbyte@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: stabilization policies
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2013 09:56:38
1 21.08.2013 13:13, Tom Wijsman пишет:
2 > On Wed, 21 Aug 2013 12:32:35 +0400
3 > Sergey Popov <pinkbyte@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 >> 21.08.2013 12:13, Tom Wijsman пишет:
6 >>> Recruiting shows to be a hard task; so, the suggestions I am doing
7 >>> are assuming that that doesn't work out. In which case, I wonder
8 >>> what "by some other ways" you would think of...
9 >>
10 >> Dropping some keywords to unstable on minor arches.
11 >
12 > If we grow (like you said below), then doing less seems like a decision
13 > that we shouldn't take; it is rather about "doing it different" to use
14 > our resources in a better way. Crowd sourcing users is an option here...
15
16 What crowd sourcing do you talking about? We have Arch Tester for that.
17 Do you see vast interest in this initiative? I think not(thus, for major
18 arches we have some amount of testers, some of them are became
19 developers lately).
20 And if you want to move stabilization checks to unqualified users, then
21 it is way to nowhere.
22
23 > Came across three types of people already trying to find a mentee:
24 >
25 > 1. The first one doesn't want to go through the amount of time it takes;
26 > this depends a bit on the queue, but it can take months.
27 >
28 > 2. The second one's interest to become a Gentoo Developer depends from
29 > time to time; so, tries to start over and over to become one.
30 >
31 > 3. The third one writes a lot of ebuilds (and has an overlay that
32 > looks like a gold mine), but there is a language barrier that keeps
33 > the user from contributing; so, we take things slowly instead...
34 >
35 > 4. The fourth one leaves a message on IRC and quits before you return.
36 >
37 > 5. ...
38 >
39 > So, recruiting in the terms of "finding recruits" appears to be hard.
42 But, at my POV, it is only one way that we can improve current situation.
45 Best regards, Sergey Popov
46 Gentoo developer
47 Gentoo Desktop Effects project lead
48 Gentoo Qt project lead
49 Gentoo Proxy maintainers project lead