From: Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: pinkbyte@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: stabilization policies
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2013 09:13:40
1 On Wed, 21 Aug 2013 12:32:35 +0400
2 Sergey Popov <pinkbyte@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > 21.08.2013 12:13, Tom Wijsman пишет:
5 > > Recruiting shows to be a hard task; so, the suggestions I am doing
6 > > are assuming that that doesn't work out. In which case, I wonder
7 > > what "by some other ways" you would think of...
8 >
9 > Dropping some keywords to unstable on minor arches.
10
11 If we grow (like you said below), then doing less seems like a decision
12 that we shouldn't take; it is rather about "doing it different" to use
13 our resources in a better way. Crowd sourcing users is an option here...
14
15 > And about recruiting, it is the only way we can keep moving with
16 > getting distro, which makes bigger and bigger all the time.
17
18 Yes, but apart from recruiting you can make the resources used better;
19 if the current way of using our resources isn't sufficient, we can
20 improve that as well. Improving both is going to make the difference.
21
22 > I would have joined recruiters unless i knew how difficult job they
23 > are doing.
24
25 Yes, I am interested in both mentoring and recruiting and I need to
26 contact them again; but I do not really intend to point at "recruiters"
27 here or how hard that is, what I intend to point at with recruiting is
28 finding those users that are willing to learn to write better ebuilds
29 and are willing to become a Gentoo Developer. They are hard to find;
30 and in order for them to be found, a mentor has to find them somewhere.
31
32 Came across three types of people already trying to find a mentee:
33
34 1. The first one doesn't want to go through the amount of time it takes;
35 this depends a bit on the queue, but it can take months.
36
37 2. The second one's interest to become a Gentoo Developer depends from
38 time to time; so, tries to start over and over to become one.
39
40 3. The third one writes a lot of ebuilds (and has an overlay that
41 looks like a gold mine), but there is a language barrier that keeps
42 the user from contributing; so, we take things slowly instead...
43
44 4. The fourth one leaves a message on IRC and quits before you return.
45
46 5. ...
47
48 So, recruiting in the terms of "finding recruits" appears to be hard.
51 With kind regards,
52
53 Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
54 Gentoo Developer
55
56 E-mail address : TomWij@g.o
57 GPG Public Key : 6D34E57D
58 GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2 ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D