From: Brian Harring <ferringb@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] "Commercial" software in portage
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 16:48:44
1 On Thu, Sep 22, 2005 at 09:30:20AM -0400, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2 > On Wed, 2005-09-21 at 17:55 -0500, Lance Albertson wrote:
3 > > Is this just a one-off implementation until GLEP 23 is implemented, or
4 > > something that will complement it? Whats going to happen to this data
5 > > after GLEP23 gets implemented? I'd hate to see something added simply
6 > > because its a quick one-off solution to make something work. I'd rather
7 > > see people focus on the actual GLEP and moving it along. Of course, if
8 > > this data will just be an added feature of GLEP23, I don't see a problem.
9 >
10 > This really has nothing to do with GLEP23, as it isn't related to any
11 > kind of grouping, or ACCEPT_LICENSE. It is simply a marker to say to
12 > our users: "Hey, you have to buy this for it to work." That is
13 > something that GLEP23 does not provide for in any way.
14
15 Actually, it does have to deal with glep23, and you already stated in
16 one of you emails (an "interim solution *now* since I've not heard
17 anything from GLEP23 for some time").
18
19 Further, where do you think you're going to migrate the check for this
20 license to?
21
22 FYI, accept_license checks have been sitting in svn/cvs for about a
23 month, same as use deps. No, you can't use them now in a released
24 portage, but that's not much of a reason to introduce a fake license
25 I'm sitting. Further, a better approach instead of people adhocing
26 yet another band aid in the tree would be to chip in- you want glep23?
27 help bring the *proper*, agreed upon solution to a stable portage, not
28 taking the easier route.
29
30 The suggested intention of this fake license is also a bit daft imo;
31 what is LICENSE, the metadata? The license the underlying pkg is
32 released under. Commercial is supposed to be mean "it costs money",
33 well, how are you going to deal with opera? Flip off the commercial
34 license now?
35
36 The original proposed angle (glep23 implementation isn't here) is
37 jumping the gun, and the angle of "it indicates it costs money" isn't
38 proper either.
39
40 You want to indicate that this *specific* pkg costs money
41 (something not related to the license it's released under I might
42 add)? Stick it in metadata.xml or DESCRIPTION.
43
44 License has a specific meaning- aside from the fact you're shoving an
45 additional license requirement on people when glep23 hits, you're also
46 blocking anyone from using that as a license group do to the fact you
47 already introduced a psuedo license in instead of a *proper* groupping.
48
49 So... my 2 cents? No (was obvious already, wasn't it? :)
50 ~harring